Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, now in its third edition, is a bestselling hermeneutics textbook that sets forth concise, logical, and practical guidelines for discovering the truth in God’s Word. With updates and revisions throughout that keep pace with current scholarship, this book offers students the best and most up-to-date information needed to interpret Scripture.
Introduction to Biblical Interpretation:
- Defines and describes hermeneutics, the science of biblical interpretation
- Suggests effective methods to understand the meaning of the biblical text
- Surveys the literary, cultural, social, and historical issues that impact any text
- Evaluates both traditional and modern approaches to Bible interpretation
- Examines the reader’s role as an interpreter of the text and helps identify what the reader brings to the text that could distort its message
- Tackles the problem of how to apply the Bible in valid and significant ways today
- Provides an extensive and revised annotated list of books that readers will find helpful in the practice of biblical interpretation
Used in college and seminary classrooms around the world, this textbook is a trusted and valuable tool for students and other readers who desire to understand and apply the Bible.