성경의 메시지를 주제별로 살피는 BST 성경 주제 시리즈(BST Bible Themes) 중 한 권으로서, 성경에 나오는 교회라는 주제를 다룬 책.
기존의 조직신학적 접근과 달리 '교회'라는 신학적 주제를 가지고 성경(구원 역사적) 순서를 따라 논의한 다음, 교회 생활의 실제적이고 종말론적인 측면까지 탐구하고 있어서 다른 책들과 확연히 구분된다. 교회론에 대한 확고한 성경적 해석과 구속사적 접근을 결합하고자 한다면, 이 책이 그러한 요구를 충족해줄 수 있으리라 생각된다.책 말미에는 성경 공부 지침이 실려 있어 교회 현장에서 실제로 사용하기에도 매우 유익하다. 현재 한국 IVP에서 이 시리즈 중 일부를 번역했으니 이 책도 우리말로 번역돼 출간될 수 있길 바란다. IVP 조직신학 시리즈 중 가장 많이 찾는 책이 성령과 교회라 하니 불가능한 일도 아닐 터. BK
The Bible begins and ends with God dwelling with his people--from Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden to the great multitude in the New Jerusalem. At each step, God gathered his people together: to speak to them, hear from them and change them to be more like him. God assembling his people, whom he loves, is what the Bible calls church.
The church should aspire to be a vibrant, loving, risk-everything people who are passionately committed to living out the values of God's Word and looking forward to the new creation. Churches and their pastors and leaders need to hear what the Bible says about who they are and what they are to do.
Chris Green takes "the message of the church" to mean three things. First, the church has a message, which is that God has saved his people through Christ. Second, the church is the created and saved result of that message. Finally, the church is a message. He has saved broken people like us, and by belonging to his people we are trying to respond to him in the ways he requires. Green's stimulating and insightful exposition begins with a survey of the church "from eternity, to Eden, to exodus, to exile, to eternity," and then focuses on various dimensions of the church's life and ministry, including its worship, unity, maturity, servants, gifts, holiness, boundaries and future.
1. Introducing the church
2. The church from eternity to Eden (Ephesians)
3. The church from Eden to exodus (Genesis 17:17-27; Galatians 3:15-29; Colossians 2:11-18)
4. The church from exodus to exile (Hebrews 12:18-29; Exodus 19)
5. The church from exile to eternity (Matthew 16:13-20)
6. The church’s life (Acts 2:41-6:7)
7. The church’s compassion (2 Corinthians 8-9)
8. The church’s meal (1 Corinthians 11:17-34)
9. The church’s praise (Colossians 3:15-17)
10. The church’s unity (Ephesians 4:1-6)
11. The church’s maturity (Ephesians 4:7-16)
12. The church’s servants (1 Timothy 3:1-13; 5:1-25)
13. The church’s gifts (Romans 12:1-13)
14. The church’s holiness (1 Peter 2:9-12)
15. The church’s boundaries (2 and 3 John)
16. The church’s future (Acts 11:19-14:28)
17. The church for eternity (Revelation 21:1-22:5)
Study and Action Guide