As a young church in a hostile environment, Peter's first readers found in his letter encouragement, not just for facing suffering, but for living responsibly in the world as faithful disciples of Jesus Christ. Christians today will also find in Peter's letter a wealth of practical counsel on how to conduct themselves in family and social life, as well as in rela4tion to a society that makes it tough to follow Jesus Christ.
In this invigorating volume from one of today's leading evangelical scholars, readers will find an introduction that discusses the letter's form, authorship, destination and primary theological themes, followed by a passage-by-passage commentary that always seeks to answer the question of what the text means for us today as well as what it meant for its original hearers.
Students, pastors, Bible teachers and everyone who wants to understand Peter's message for the church will benefit from this excellent resource.
Features & Benefits
- Highlights the relevance of Peter's teaching for all Christians who want to act responsibly in the world
- Provides solid, relevant discussion of the biblical text and its implications for life today
- Includes helpful additional notes on problem verses at the bottom of the page
- Written in a clear, user-friendly format and attractive layout
- Complements the Tyndale Old Testament Commentary Series
- Winner of the 1992 Christianity Today Critic's Choice Award